Vineyard and Cellar
Restoring an ancient vineyard
Since 1998, this ancient vineyard has been the object of a major reorganization as well as restructuration to better the quality :
- Replanting certain plots
- A better selection of root stalk clones
- Varietal balance between the Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.
The red Graves vineyard :
- The vineyard is composed of approximately 20 hectares (50 acres) of red vines
- 55% Merlot makes these wines round and very fruit forward (with aromas and savers of red fruits) with certain spicy overtones. The Merlot varietal brings a certain suppleness and softness to the Cabernet Sauvignon.
- 45% Cabernet Sauvignon brings the majority of the wines tannins, which forms the structure and complexity of the wine; it also allows the wine to keep its intensity through the years.
The White Graves Vineyard :
- 60% Sémillon brings a mild acidity, density, fattiness, fullness as well as sweetness with notes of candied fruits and honey. The mildness of the acidity of the Sémillon balances the acidity of the Sauvignon blanc.
- 30% Sauvignon blanc is a varietal that is highly influenced by the soil type, the wines tend to be very refined, delicate and balanced.
- 10% Muscadelle adds a mild pleasantness with softness to the white wine blend. The wines are round with very marked floral undertones.
Respecting the environment
Marie-Hélène Yung-Théron takes great care to preserve the site of the Château de Portets. She wishes to protect its natural beauty and has therefore opted for a style of viticulture and vinification with the upmost respect regarding the environment.
As of 2017, the Château de Portets is committed to obtaining the Système de Management Environmentalle (SME), an environmental certification directed by the Conseil Interprofessionel des Vins de Bordeaux (CIVB).
The process of obtaining the certification ISO 14001 shows our commitment to implementing a greater eco-responsible management as well as a more sustainable approach to all activities that concern our personnel, local inhabitants, and our local ecosystem: (to take into consideration the impacts of our activities toward the environment: keeping track of energy consumption, water usage, recycling, effluent water treatment, and cultivation methods).
An optional environmental policy; that follows the natural evolution of initiatives at the Château de Portets such as:
- the tilling of the soil
- The grassing-down between the rows
- And using biocontrol products (plant extract products to stimulate the natural defenses of the plant, either organic or mineral) for treatments of the vines.
Continuing with the theme of biodiversity, our choice of plant care products and fertilizers is very strict to keep with our goal to obtain the certification called, the HVE certification or Haute Valeur Environnementale.
A More Precise Style of Vinification
Marie-Hélène Yung-Théron takes considerable attentiveness and great expertise when making the wines of the Château de Portets.
With the help of her team and her consulting oenologist, she closely oversees the vineyard and vinifications. The harvest is partly hand-picked and the rest is harvested by machine. After the harvest, the grapes are sorted by hand and put into temperature controlled tanks. The estate uses the technic of a cold prefermentation maceration, meaning that the grape must is kept at a low temperature over the first few days to accentuate the red fruit aromas.
The water treatment station treats the wastewater that comes from the many different winemaking tasks starting with harvest and ending with the wine’s bottling.
Well-balanced wines, that are strong and elegant
The efforts in the past few years have allowed the estate wines to improve significantly their balance as well as become more powerful, but remain elegant.
Consulting enologists for guidance and an impecable monitering of our wines
Starting with the 2012 vintage, a perfect harmony of enologist Christian Sourdès and consulting enologist Antoine Médeville, help to guide Marie-Hélène Yung-Théron in her actions to distinguish and blend, the best of the wines worthy of the name “Château de Portets”.
Since this partnership, the Château de Portets wines have been selected each year for different wine agricultural awards as well as being recognized in the Guide Hachette.
Nevertheless “with this wine we have created, savory and intense with an emphasis on elegance, represents to me the spirit itself of the magical place we call the Château de Portets”.